Copenhagen shootings: Police kill ‘gunman’ after two attacks
Police in Copenhagen say they have shot dead a man they believe was behind two deadly attacks in the Danish capital hours earlier.
Police say they killed the man in the Norrebro district after he opened fire on them.
It came after one person was killed and two injured during a free speech debate in a cafe on Saturday.
In the second attack, a Jewish man was killed and two police officers wounded near the city’s main synagogue.
Police say they do not believe any other people were involved in the attacks.
The BBC’s Malcolm Brabant in Copenhagen says the city has been on high alert after the shootings.
Early on Sunday, police said they had been keeping an address under observation in the district of Norrebro, waiting for the occupant to return.
When he appeared, he noticed the officers, pulled out a gun and opened fire, police said. They returned fire and shot him dead.
Norrebro is a predominantly immigrant district of Copenhagen, about three miles (5km) away from the synagogue where the shooting took place just hours earlier.
Barrage of gunshots
Police warned residents that it was not safe to be in the city centre, although they stressed that there was no curfew in force.
A massive manhunt was launched after the first shooting, which took place during a free speech debate attended by a Swedish cartoonist.
An audio recording, obtained exclusively by the BBC, revealed the moments leading up to the attack.
Source BBC